About 240 Union Gas customers in the Elm Crescent – Willow – Hawthorne Road area lost natural gas services for 24 hours or more late Thursday and into Friday.
Union Gas was conducting work in the area at about 2 pm Thursday and damaged the main service line in the process. It had to be shut down completely for repairs. Thirty to forty homes were evacuated for about two hours. North Star School was put on lock down – windows and doors closed – but were soon able to return to regular activities by 3 pm.
Here’s what Union Gas spokesperson Andrea Stass had to say at 8:15 am, Friday:
Union Gas has just completed repairing the damaged pipeline and we expect to begin restoring service to affected customers in the next hour.
“We have brought in additional help from surrounding areas so that we can restore service as quickly as possible, keeping public safety top of mind.
In order to restore service, Union Gas representatives will require access to homes and businesses to relight all the natural gas appliances and equipment.
We will be going door-to-door to do this. All of our representatives will have identification.
Our goal is to restore service to all affected customers by later this evening, where we can gain access to the home.
We thank our customers for their patience as we work through this process.”